Saturday, May 22, 2021

A Peaceful......

A peaceful vision to behold, Aslan and his contented harem of hens relaxing and preening as the sun slowly rises.

Two weeks ago I did not know if Aslan would live to survive the night. 
Pluto the young rooster and Aslan's offspring suddenly attacked his father. So much for the "experts" advice! 
I had sought the wisdom of others when I realised that one of the chicks born last year was indeed a rooster, could I keep him? 
Oh yes, was the answer from many a chicken "expert" they won't fight as the chick grew up with his father.
Well, how wrong they were!

Walking out to discover Aslan cover in blood, staggering barely able to walk was a horror that is taking me time to recover from.
Gathering him up in my arms and seeing the damage I did fear he would die. 
Inside he  was taken his wounds bathed and dressed, placed in a warm cage in a dark quiet room. Outside chaos was still unfolding as the young rooster attempted without success I may add to take charge of the hens.
The girls having witnessed this silent and savage attack were to in shock and keeping as far away from Pluto as possible. 
When night fell with the hens locked away I removed Pluto from the nightbox ready to be taken away the following morning. With a taste of blood and such a streak of violence coming out of nowhere I could not keep him. 
Aslan my gentle rooster if he survived the night would be the one to stay. If he had of passed then Pluto would still have been taken away as I could not risk him attacking the other birdlife that come to the garden.

The next morning Aslan was a little stronger, he had eaten and was drinking. I placed him outside with his girls as I felt that the earth beneath his feet, the sun on his back and his girls would serve better in his recovery. 
The hens all surrounded Aslan and they all kept very quiet for the  first couple of days. 
As the days have passed Aslan has slowly recovered from his ordeal, his wounds healing. 
The worst of the attack was to his head, and although the area now is looking healthy, the feathers will take time to grow back.
This morning he seemed to be much stronger and back to his regal proud self. And the girls also seemingly back to normal too. The level of violence witnessed by them also has taken time for them to recover from the shock of it all.

Pluto was taken to a rescue centre and I trust he found a happy home, however taking him away was extremely traumatic for me as well, for I felt like I was abandoning him. I take any animal who comes into my care for the term of their entire life. However I knew that one of the roosters needed to be rehomed.
Plus there was no way I could keep him after the level of aggression he displayed, I could not have that sort of vibe in the garden.

Love is a powerful healer, and watching the way the hens cooed and snuggled with their beautiful gentle boy has been such a humbling process to witness and has helped me to heal from the event as well.....







2 comments:

William Kendall said...

Poor Aslan. A lesson learned: only one rooster.

Gemel said...

One rooster, traumatic lesson learnt.