Monday, July 19, 2021

Heading Off To.....

Heading off to Bells Rapids today to see how the river was flowing after all the storms of late. Unfortunately I wasn't the only one with this idea, the car park was overflowing, but I do know the quieter paths to take and after crossing the bridge and went on a splendid walk away from the crowds.

The roar of the rapids heard well before I could see them. The riverbed well and truly covered, it seems unbelievable that in February I was strolling along in the riverbed exploring the huge boulders that now lay hidden beneath the water.  The water treacherous, currents going this way and that.  

The day was overcast, however that did not take away from the beauty. 
Everything is regenerating after the devastating fire earlier in the year, wildflower season will be spectacular this year. 
The riverbanks were breached and many trees and plants underwater. Ground dwelling animals perhaps not surviving the flood if they made their burrows too close to the riverbank. I know that there is a colony of Rakali (native river rats) at one part of the river. Their nest engulfed by water.

 A new plant was seen, which after a bit of research I discovered are hairy balls milkweed!  A titter or two was had as I read the name.  

On the way back to my car I captured my favourite photos of the day. A mating pair of corellas lost in a world of their own and they performed their joyous mating ritual.....




























































 

No comments: