Sunday, July 25, 2021

My Resident.....


My resident pair of Pacific black ducks have a dream of a life here in the garden. A shady garden to relax in and a little pond to swim around in, although truth be known there's not much room. However they pop in and paddle about together despite the cramped conditions. 

I had been wondering what had happened to my hairy nardoo plant, today the mystery was solved. As the pair swim around they stop for a nibble on the plant. So cute, bless them another reason to spend all their time here.
The pond area is fast becoming a hidden oasis, hopefully by next year some of the grasses would have filled out to give the area a more secluded feel. This breed of duck prefers shallow waters and lots of vegetation, so I am on the right path to making this pair feel at home. Next on my duck habitat agenda is a nesting box that I can place up in the jarrah tree. The pair have been coming for years and treat the garden as their own laying their eggs and raising their ducklings here would be such a blessing..
Hopefully come next breeding season I will have found a suitable nesting box and perhaps they will nest in the garden.....













 

2 comments:

William Kendall said...

They are photogenic.

Gemel said...

I think they are William, such beautiful ducks.