Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Our homes.....

Our homes reflect so much about us. 
Inside and out how we keep our home and garden presents us the dweller to the world. 
My tiny little cottage is my tiny little palace. 
Full of treasures, each and every piece has a story to tell.
Most of the objects within have been either gifted or discovered in charity shops, or in the stained glass windows case on a buy and sell site on-line.
With no television nor microwave the lifestyle I lead is viewed as old fashioned by some. Quirky by others. Real by me. There is a dishwasher yet that is not used regularly, I find washing the dishes by hand enjoyable, and given that there is only me, there is never a pile waiting that is daunting.  Plus the view from the kitchen window out into the garden gives me a fabulous vantage point to watch the comings and goings of the birds.
My garden gives the passers by a glimpse of my personality, a garden left as natural as possible, colourful and fun items placed all around the garden to add a bit of fun. Like the interior of the cottage it is unlike any home in the area.
 I still recall a comment heard way back in 2016 when a young child passing by stated to his mother that it wasn't fair that I had a park to live in. 
Why didn't they? 
That comment has always made me smile. It also gave me an indication of what the garden presents to the outside world. I know if I ever pass a garden or house that stimulates the senses I find myself wanting to explore to see what life behind the garden fence would be like, and whether the home matches the garden.  
Having lived in many houses in my life story, one in particular very opulent (but that was in a former life a very long time ago,) this tiny cottage actually is the only true home I have ever had. 
The others were simply houses. 
All houses reflected me to some degree, but until now I had never felt connected to the land on which the house sat. 
Here though I have found my peace after many years wandering the earth. 
And here my quirky playful self has thoroughly enjoyed creating a colourful life filled oasis in which to dwell......

2 comments:

William Kendall said...

Very wise.

Gemel said...

Thank you William.