Sunday, July 31, 2022

Each Year....

Each year when my two grevillea olivacea trees flower I wait for the arrival of the shy and stunning red capped parrots. 
Getting photos of this pair is really difficult as they fly off if they see me, even when inside.
 So being inside was the only way I could take photos of this couple as they nibbled on the grevillea flowers this morning. 

Because they are continually walking along the branches when eating these delicate flowers they are never still, which means getting a decent photo of them is tricky. 
Today though I finally got a few good shots towards the end of their morning feast. 

Their plumage is gloriously bright and vibrant. 
Only found in the south west of Australia and nowhere else these are unique and rare birds. 
They like to live in woodland forests and given my garden is a mini woodland forest they obviously feel safe enough to venture here to eat. 
As long as I am not outside.

They are quiet birds so unlike other parrots they don't tend to chatter whilst eating.
And given their elusive nature they are not always easy to see despite their vibrant colouring, even out in the bushlands. 
I feel very privileged by their yearly appearance in my private garden. As yet I have only ever seen them enjoying one particular grevillea flower, although perhaps they eat other things in the garden which I am yet to discover......













 

2 comments:

William Kendall said...

Marvelous birds.

Gemel said...

They really are beauties.