Tuesday, July 05, 2022

Exploring Yet Another.......

Exploring yet another new path, had no idea where it would lead or what I would discover. I was dismayed at seeing a small creek with not one drop of water. Although the bright green shoots of grasses can be seen giving the bushland a meadow like appearance, many of the trees and bushland plants need a good few months of steady rain. The lack of water sadly is taking its toll on many plants and younger trees.  

As I meandered along up a small incline I was surprised to find it lead to an old quarry. As always I think of the deaths this mining caused, and I took a moment of silence for the plants and creatures who lost their lives, and for those that could escape, their homes. 

The rocks were beautiful, so many colours and textures. Along the ridge plants are flourishing and reclaiming the damage done. I didn't go up along the ridge today but shall come another time to hike up the top. It was a strange feeling gazing upwards, I actually felt a wave a dizziness as I took in the sight. On parts of the cliff top it looks as if there has been a layer of some sort of concrete applied. It was quite evident in several spots that huge boulders are hanging on by a slither, a barrier fence in one place to make sure visitors don't get too close. 
Nature is beginning to restore some beauty at the bottom of the quarry as well as on some of the ledges. The restorative power of Mother Nature is incredible as she is now healing parts of her broken self with new vibrant life. 

Once again I stumbled across a bowl full of water,  very thoughtful of a kind human to leave it for the animals and birds. I only encountered two flowering plants. I was interested in seeing yet another variety of the pincushion hakea, this time a red one. That is the second pincushion hakea I have found this year in a different hue to the ones I have. It is these microenvironments that the bushland has that these rare plants may be found and nowhere else. It is why as a species we need to save the bushlands, not destroy it. It is also rare when out on my weekly walks through the bushlands that I don't discover a plant I had not seen before, and I always feel such an excitement of  seeing something new to me.

Although the sun bright, the wind was very chilly, the silence broken occasionally by the song of tiny birds high up in the trees serenading me as I strolled along....

















































 

2 comments:

William Kendall said...

Quite a place to explore.

Gemel said...

So much left to see to.