Friday, November 20, 2020

Death.....


 Death, it is the one thing every life form on the planet is guaranteed of experiencing from the moment of birth all of us are on the countdown for the transition to death from our very first breath.

Death like birth is a transition from one state to another.
And in my opinion, death should be celebrated and sacred.
Not something to be feared.
The ancient Egyptians in my view had it right.
They mourned a birth.
They celebrated a death.
They knew through their beliefs that in death we return to the place from where we all come from, a realm where we return to again and again.
In birth we leave that realm to experience a mortal life.

With the amount of research I have done on near death experience and my own experiences with unexplainable occurrences and having worked in palliative care I have no fear of dying. 
I know that some ways of dying are not to pleasant and having witnessed some not too pleasant passings it has made me all the more passionate about learning to die.

Learning to die without fear.
With acceptance.
With dignity.
With grace.
One day I will leave this mortal body I currently call home, like all of us will, it can come at any moment.
Some have very brief lives.
Some very long.
Others in between.
Sometimes we get given a time frame through illness.
Sometimes it is unexpected.
Sometimes it is simply the passage of time running out as the mortal body grows frail and weary.

With that said I have many discussions about how I would like my transition to be should I not be capable of speaking.
Even if I find myself in a sterile hospital, I have made my wishes clear.
Make it as natural as possible.
Beautiful music, oils burning and of course a flickering candle to balance the very unnatural hospital environment.
And if possible get me outside.

If at home my intention is to depart surrounded by nature outside in the garden, family both human and animal close by.
I have deep discussions with my son, telling him all I need to tell him now, instead of leaving it all unsaid.
And I have expressed wishes that no funeral home is to be involved.
I wanted him to tell me what he wants to do, for I won't be here anymore and some lavish funeral seems a pointless exercise and a total waste of money, of strangers being involved in this intimate and sacred time makes no sense.
A gathering out in nature, bringing food and playing instruments seated on blankets is a more fitting celebration for me.
Talking.
Crying.
Hugging.
Laughing.
Sharing food.
Just being in the stillness of nature.
Sitting on the earth perhaps by a river is what he seems to feel is more appropriate in letting me go in the next chapter of my existence.
Our end of life should be as beautiful as our arrival in this life.

Watching people approach death with fear and no acceptance is a difficult thing to watch.
Clinging on to life as they are too terrified at what is coming, some will prolong their suffering with drugs which only harm their ailing bodies more because they cannot accept the transition that is approaching.

It makes more sense to me to learn how to die.
To live each day with as much meaning as possible.
To tell those we love how much they mean to us.
To see the wonder in this realm we reside in.
To never leave anything unsaid.
To know that each moment we have is precious.......

No comments: