Monday, October 17, 2022

Sunday Was Spent.....

Sunday was spent enjoying the fly in fly out visitors to the garden and pottering about planting seedlings in the food and flower meadow. As well as starting off a seedling nursery in one of the small raised garden beds. 

The chickens have been finding their way into the food and flower meadow slipping through the wire fence. I did the best I could do with what I had to hand to fix the fence temporarily, a trip to the hardware store today should sort the issue out properly tomorrow. Chickens are very smart when it comes to getting to tasty food sources, and I was actually surprised how quickly they figured out a way in. Having planted new seedlings in that space I don't want them young plants dug up before they have a chance to thrive. 

I have added to the flowers growing in the meadow, some dahlias, snapdragons and paper daisies have been planted. Two types of carrots and four different varieties of tomatoes, as well as a climbing spinach have also been added to the food meadow. The rocket and red mustads are doing well and despite being squashed by a falling branch the broad beans are still producing beans. 

Watermelon has been planted elsewhere in the garden as during the summer months I normally go through one watermelon per week for the chickens and birds. They all love watermelon as a refreshing treat on a blistering hot day. Hopefully my feathered garden helpers won't eat them before they are ripe enough to harvest.

I have planted some corn seeds and have placed them high out of reach of the chickens in the small raised garden bed. Once of a sturdy height these will be planted throughout the garden. I am going to grow the corn the way the native americans did by growing beans and melon with them to add protection to the corn as it grows.....












 

2 comments:

William Kendall said...

That will keep you busy.

Gemel said...

It will William.