Thursday, November 21, 2019

The Salad......

 The salad greens are thriving here in the raised garden bed, my idea of hanging old CD's from the wire has proved a success.
I have tried over the years of being at the cottage many different ways of attempting to keep the chicken folk out of my vegetables, none have worked as efficiently as this method.


Needing to also find a corner in the garden to plant the milk thistle also know as St Mary thistle, blessed thistle or holy thistle.
Once she is established I will then be able to harvest the plant to make tea.

Milk thistle is used for a variety of health issue, the ten most common are;
Improve inflammatory skin conditions.
Reduces cholesterol
Supports liver health
Supports weight loss
Reduces insulin resistance
Improves allergic asthmatic symptoms
Limits the spread of cancer
Supports bone health
Improves cognition
Boosts the immune system

Quite a handy herb to have in the garden, when the blossoms are dry I can then cut them off place them in a paper bag and leave them for a further five to seven days.
Then I will need to separate the seeds, in fact all parts of the this plant are edible and healing so I am looking forward to my first crop once the plant is big enough..........


2 comments:

William Kendall said...

For whatever the reason, the CDs work.

Gemel said...

They do, no idea why, maybe because they are shiny and always moving.