Friday, November 08, 2019

A Little Someone.....

 A little someone enjoying a succulent treat for dinner.

I have a family of new holland honeyeaters who reside in the front garden, have done so for a few years now, and from the comfort of the sitting room I can get a birds eye view of the daily feeding and antics of these rather feisty little birds.

Currently the fledglings are learning to navigate their way in the world and in total I think there maybe around twelve in the group, although it is hard to tell as they rarely stop for too long always flitting from tree to tree, so it is difficult to get a true count of how many there are.

One of the best views I have from the house is  when the group bathe, they all take turns in the birdbath it really is a delight to watch.
Diving in, fluffing themselves up and basically having a joyful time.

They tend to be rather territorial and if planting a native garden it is advisable not to have too many plants with red flowers as the nectar from these is what really draws them in, often they will chase other smaller nectar eating birds from the garden which I didn't really want, so I have a wide variety of colourful flowering plants to accommodate and entice as many native birds as possible, much to the annoyance of this family.

From the moment I planted the garden I dreamt that one day I would have a private little sanctuary that who oozed life.

And that is exactly what I now have.

Blissfully relaxing no matter what the weather, I really do appreciate the oasis I have nurtured......


2 comments:

William Kendall said...

Quite a pretty bird.

Gemel said...

They are quite lovely but rarely still enough for a photo though. Shall keep trying....