Thursday, April 06, 2023

Visiting Tomato Lake...

Visiting Tomato Lake today for the first time in several weeks, and the change of season was evident. Gone are the nesting corellas and ibises, they have now left the lake to fly to wherever they spend the colder months. The lake was calm apart from the gentle ripples the breeze and ducks created.  I watched a pair of ducks performing their mating ritual, they were swimming in circles with their heads and necks often connected, it was a hypnotic ballet to watch. 

The banksia flowers were giving stunning shows around one side of the lake where there is a small corridor of natives. I love banksias, then again, I adore all native flowers. 
There are 78 species of banksia, each of them as incredible as the next. The seedpods provide homes for all manner of spiders and other tiny bush creatures, the flowers feeding many species too. When in full flower this species resembles candles when in bloom.

The first mushrooms were sighted as well, I love hunting for fungi in the cooler months. Hoping I discover a few new ones these years like I did last winter. The diversity of the bushlands continues to amaze me. 

Much to my absolute delight, I saw another bush stone curlew up in one of the canopies, a little way away from it was another larger bird of which I am yet to identify. 
The bush stone curlew kindly posed for a couple of fabulous photos making my day... 




























































2 comments:

William Kendall said...

Excellent shots.

Gemel said...

Thank you, William.