Friday, September 18, 2020

The Chicks...

The chicks are getting really inquisitive now and a little more tricky to transfer from the nightbox into the cat enclosure for their day outside.
Yesterday was the first day I was not home to make sure they were safe I placed pieces of wood around the outside of the enclosure just in case Nova got a bit ambitious with her digging around the inside of the enclosure and the chicks might have wriggled out, I also placed  a tarp over the top of the enclosure in case it rained.
Arriving home to see the family still safe in the enclosure I let out a huge sigh of relief, they had been in my thoughts all day.
Catching the chicks to move them back to the night box I discovered that the chicks can now jump out of the cat carrier and two of them jumped out and landed on my back where they seemed happy to run about.
Trying to catch while they ran along my back was not easy as they are as swift as lightning scurrying all over me as I tried to catch them by touch alone.

I know Nova is getting a tad stir crazy being confined to the enclosure she will have to make do for another couple of weeks, the safety of the little ones is my priority.
The chicks are so adorable, their colouring really unusual as their feathers continue to grow their feathers are showing some very unique patterns, a cross between  a bantam wyandotte and acaucana I am really looking forward to seeing them when all their feathers finally have come through and to see how big they will become.
Dad Aslan is beginning to stop to connect with his chicks a bit more now, each night when the rest of the flock is let into the nightbox Aslan stops to coo at Nova and his babies, he is such a tender natured rooster and it is really beautiful to watch his interactions.
Not quite two weeks old the chicks constantly amaze me with how swiftly they change one day to the next......
 




 

2 comments:

William Kendall said...

I can imagine that they're fast.

Sharon said...

They are so adorable even if they are a bit frisky.