Monday, January 27, 2020

Stopping To Admire.....



 Stopping to admire a garden when out on a walk, the owner of the garden came out to see what I was doing smelling flowers in her garden.
I told her that I was simply admiring the garden and the abundance of flowers that were blooming, I said I really loved the design of her garden with it's gentle curves and selection of plants, the lady told me the back garden was far more impressive than the front and took me out to the back of her house to give me a mini tour of her lush garden.
The garden was 50 years old planted and maintain solely by her, her husband she stated was not a gardener and no help at all, she said this was all created by her and that she still maintains the whole garden which included mowing the lawns.  
Absolutely stunned by this secret garden filled with life and colour, the lady who was in her seventies was busy doing a spot of bricklaying when I had appeared yet was happy to stop for a moment to show off her fabulous private haven.
She gave me a cutting of crown of thorns plant, otherwise known as euphorbia milli, Christ plant or Christ thorn it is a native to Madagascar and one I don't have so I accepted the gift and left with instructions of how to get the cutting to grow.

A random encounter with an inspiring woman which left me proudly walking down the street with this little posy of colour.......






3 comments:

Just Jood said...

Beautiful but has viscous thorns. Grow in a large pot away from your walkways. Judith

Gemel said...

Yes the thorns were a tad prickly to contend with. Have the perfect pot already, it needs to dry out before I plant it though.

William Kendall said...

I've never heard of that type.