Thursday, January 02, 2020

Something Was Happening.....

 Something was happening this morning down the back of the garden and underneath a rosemary bush that had Aslan cooing to Maple who was happily snuggling in the little cave she had created making soft little purring type noises back at him.

As Aslan continued his serenade to Maple, Brulee became extremely flustered and began running across the garden making a hell of a racket, little Gaia running behind as confused as I was with all the noise and commotion.
But as to what was going on I don't have the slightest clue, and given Brulee's reaction she was none to happy about it either.

The longer I share my garden with chickens the less I realise I know about them, they really are such fascinating creatures, their family dynamics have shown me the depth of their emotions, especially with the appearance of little Gaia six weeks ago, Aslan has doted on his chick from the first moment, it has been a real honour to watch how free range chickens live their lives, each has their own personality and funny little habits, and as I saw today rather spectacular tantrums.


There is a pecking order to the flock, and much to my amusement it is not Aslan that rules the roost, instead it is Brulee who takes no nonsense from anyone including Aslan, so it was a tad comical to watch her zooming around the garden and clucking her displeasure for all the hear as Aslan continued to focus all his attention on Maple.

Little Gaia did seem happy when her mum stopped for a rest, she is hardly ever still enough to photograph, but I did manage a couple of close ups of her.
New feathers are appearing daily, and I am liking the bits of black that are coming through.
Gaia is now getting left behind by mum for short periods of time during the day, and I noticed this evening when I locked them up in their night box that Gaia is no longer snuggling underneath mum to sleep, instead she was cuddled up to Opal and Pearl.

How grateful I am for such a bountiful garden full of life, love and chickens.......






















1 comment:

William Kendall said...

Gaia is growing fast.