Wednesday, January 01, 2020

An Early Morning.....

 An early morning siesta in the safety of my jarrah tree for these three magpies, two fledglings and one of their parents captured my attention as I walked past the tree.

This particular tree is a favourite with the magpies, they get a good view of the entire property, can see if any treats have been given to the chickens as well as being a safe haven from predators. 
The fledglings were taking the rest as an opportunity to do a bit of preening, both grooming themselves as mum kept a look out.

The magpie family that comes each day has been doing so for the six years I have been care taking this little piece of earth, over the years I have seen many come, and sadly some come no more.
The worst encounter was earlier this year when one of the males showed up without one of his legs, I was horrified and was unable to capture him despite numerous attempts, when he flew off that afternoon I never saw him again.
I still can not imagine how he lost a leg, and it saddens me that I was unable to help him. Another regular magpie was a very old female who seemed as ancient as time its self, she arrived one day with twine tangled around her foot, and once again failed in my attempts to capture her, she too left never to return again.

Living in harmony with nature of course has it's sad times to contend with, luckily though the happy times outweigh the sad.

I am very grateful to have such a large family of magpies visit each day, and each time they sing I stop in awe, sometimes just one will sing, and sometimes they all sing and each song is as beautiful and individual as the magpies themselves.....










2 comments:

William Kendall said...

They are good company.

Gemel said...

Especially when they fill the garden with their songs.