Thursday, March 30, 2023

My First Ever Sighting...

My first ever sighting of a bush stone curlew in the wild was so amazing I decided it needed its own post. 

These birds are nocturnal, so seeing one in the day was really exciting. I obviously disturbed it from its slumber, and it took off from a bushy clump of reeds to the safety of a tree. Once again loss of habitat and predation has seen their numbers decline. 
If I hadn't of seen it fly to the tree it would be difficult at a glance to even notice it there, the feathers camouflage it splendidly. They have a very eerie high pitch wailing call, which I expect if out in the bush on your own at night it would be rather spooky. The feed on insects, small lizards, molluscs and seeds. 
They are also referred to as bush thick knee, have a life span of 20 - 30 years. Now that I know that they are in this particular area I will returning to see if I get to spot this one or it's mate again...





 

2 comments:

William Kendall said...

It certainly blends well in that first shot.

Gemel said...

It certainly does.