Sunday, February 23, 2020

Not A Fan...

 Not a fan of zoo's or animal parks I stepped out of my comfort zone yesterday as I promised to take someone I support to see the animals there as a day out.
As always I was aware that not all animals and birds were indeed happy with their confinement, the dingoes in particular looked stressed and less than happy with their living conditions the black dingo looking the most depressed.
Seeing birds confined and unable to fly and live free always disturbs me, some of the largest birds had the smallest cages with no room to fly properly enough to stretch their wings and soar in the winds.
A lot of the animals and birds showed signs of stress, and I was really happy to get out of the park at the end of the visit.
The kangaroos seemed to be happy enough, in their enclosure they at least had a time out zone where they could duck under the railing and have time away from the hoards of humans who visit the park, and quite a lot of the kangaroos were actually in this part of their enclosure and it was not even yet mid morning.

All the koalas were snoozing away apart from the one little chap who you could get close to, he actually seemed to have smirk on his little face as I went up to pat him.

The happiest and cheekiest were the goats, not native animals of course but highly amusing and very social one was chasing me around trying to eat the camera strap.
I did speak to one of the attendants as to whether they followed a program to rehabilitate and return the animals to their natural habitats, the attendant didn't  answer my question though, perhaps she didn't know.
Looking into the eyes of some of these beautiful creatures did make me sad, their eyes saying what they cannot voice.

With Australia's diverse and rather unusual array of wildlife I know that parks like these attract tourist by the bus load, although how many take the time to reflect on whether this sort of environment is actually in the best interest of the animals who have not consented to living in such an unnatural way......






















































































2 comments:

William Kendall said...

Koalas look like very sound sleepers.

Gemel said...

Yes they seem to be, nothing could rouse them.