Saturday, October 28, 2023

A Glance...

A glance over my shoulder when watering the garden gave me a glimpse of a ring of tiny mushrooms in a hidden corner of the garden. It was quite the surprise, as the weather is rather warm, so not many fungi are seen this time of the year, although I am aware that underground the fantastical realm of the fungi is a constant. The world beneath our feet is fascinating, more so because it is still a mystery to us humans. I took a few moments to appreciate these tiny mushrooms, noticing that one had been nibbled on. I would think that was my resident quenda as they are known for their love of fungi. 

Next, I moved on to admire the blooms of the rose mallow that had self-seeded from last year. The delicate hues of pink so gorgeous. Sheltered in the back corner of the garden this plant is not seen unless one takes a walk to the flower meadow. The meadow which turned into a flower forest this year with the daisies reaching hights of just over six feet. It has been a joy seeing the flowers creating their own micro system as I allowed them to grow as wildly as they pleased.

I then walked over to the cornflowers in the smaller raised flower meadow. Again, after dispersing a lot of pollen attracting seed mix, I allowed these to grow in an untamed fashion as well. I love my garden to be as natural as possible, I tend to leave a few weeds here and there for the insects. My view is that our glorious earth mother has more idea of where things should grow than we do. And there is a reason why weeds were created. 

Moving on to two of the four emu bushes I have in the garden.  Eremophila are sacred healing plants with the most beautiful tiny flowers. I have two purple ones, a pink as well as one with a soft lemony hue. I have a section of the garden where I have planted them altogether, as I feel they do better when planted near to each other.

The mulberry tree is absolutely laden with fruit. I stop to pick handfuls when out in the garden. I also don't mind the birds partaking of the fruit, I am not sure if the possums like mulberries though. 

Lastly, I checked on the very first macadamia nuts my tree has produced. Having fertilised the tree to assist with her first fruiting season I am keeping an eye on how these nuts are progressing. They are still but tiny balls growing from the flower stems, each day though they appear slightly bigger. I am looking forward to harvesting this tiny handful of nuts when the time is right....
















 

No comments: