Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Arriving Home...

Arriving home to feathers all over the driveway and also under the patio, I did a quick headcount of the chickens and ducks to see if any of them had been taken.
Thankfully my brood was safe, someone else however had not been so blessed.

Walking into the cottage I was shocked to see glass strewn all over the floor. Not noticing as I unlocked the door that one of the windows had been smashed. Knowing immediately what had caused the damage as a similar situation had occurred before, without the window being broken.

A bronzewing had been attempting to flee from a hawk and flew under the patio and straight into the window. The speed in which the window was hit had some force behind it as the impact sent shattered glass from one end of the cottage to the other. 

The following morning when I went out to let the chickens out for the day a hawk was brazenly standing on top of the car, not moving as I came out and staring my right in the eye. Obviously back to hunt. The chickens and ducks are safe from this particular predator, nevertheless the flock of bronzewing's that frequent to garden daily will need to be on full alert...




 

2 comments:

William Kendall said...

What an impact.

Gemel said...

I know, poor bird.