Saturday, December 10, 2022

Each Morning.....

Each morning I take my coffee and have a walk around the garden to see how things are going, what has flowered overnight and what bird visitors are first to appear. 
Yesterday I was happy to see the first of the dwarf sunflowers had opened. It was filled with water from watering and looked like a mini birdbath with the little puddle within it. I had searched for seedlings of giant sunflowers but could not find any anywhere, so the dwarf ones had to do. I am not too sure how big the plants will grow, or how many blooms they will have.

The mystery pink flowers I have discovered are rose mallow, or swamp hibiscus. They are absolutely beautiful flowers and they apparently flower for quite a long period during the hotter months. Being from the hibiscus family these plants will be tolerant of the heat. 

Also in the flower meadow the dwarf snapdragons continue to bloom, these really are appealing and seem quite happy growing near the tomato plants. Having this little meadow of delicate flowers has brought a softness to this once sandy patch of the garden. The chickens often look for ways to get in here as I am sure that all the plants do tempt them. 

A single pink feather caught my attention and I thought how pretty it looked decorating the leaf it was on. Overhead a rose chested cockatoo was watching as I wandered about, curious at what I was up to. 
The corellas had also arrived these are much louder than the pink and greys and tend to get very vocal if I get too close to the trees they are in. They squawk extremely loud protests and fan their wings out to look intimidating, I find them comical which I am certain they wouldn't appreciate. 

The fruits and vegetables in the raised garden beds are doing well. I am already harvesting endive and rocket, the wild rocket is especially hot and peppery which I am enjoying. I have moved one of the smaller raised beds to capture a bit more sunshine. The onions were struggling in the shade so I managed to move it to a warmer brighter position.

My garden provides endless beauty and soon a bounty of food too, as passions go gardening really does gift one with so much. Colour and fragrance, food and an endless array of colourful visitors each day and therapy for the soul....






















 




2 comments:

William Kendall said...

You certainly get a lot of company.

Gemel said...

I do, it is rare that the garden has not birds in it. Very blessed.