Friday, July 31, 2020

Visiting An Art.....


Visiting an art exhibition that one of the people I support each week has in the Ellenbrook Art Gallery yesterday was quite the event, Amanda has given permission for me to share her work on my blog for all to see, she did tell me to state that all paintings and sculptures are for sale.

Amanda has an intellectual disability so this is such an accomplishment for her.
Amanda's mother was an aboriginal woman from the Yamaji tribe found in the Murchison and Gascoyne regions of Western Australia. When Amanda was a child her mother told her stories from their tribe and from these stories Amanda paints the little scary monsters her mother spoke about.
Amanda was full of pride as she showed me each painting, and I particularly loved the little pink sculpture. 
Although Amanda can't relay the stories her mother told, she uses her art to relay these creatures which Amanda tells me are super scary. For me they all seem rather fun and quirky, a colourful collection of some really unusual creatures.
Amanda was also commissioned to do a mural on one of the walls in the art gallery, a piece of it is seen in the last photo, we couldn't get into the room to get a full wall shot as there was a workshop underway, but we will go back at some point to see the whole wall.......









No comments: