Sunday, July 26, 2020

Discovering This Amazing.....

 Discovering this amazing little spider as I was about to walk under the veranda, something prompted me to look up, so look up I did, I have learnt not to ignore promptings from my intuition, because it always leads me to moments of wondrous delight. Seeing this tiny spider drew my attention immediately, I had never seen one before and had no idea what kind of spider it was.
After watching it and admiring its delicate beauty I did a bit of research to discover it is a green lynx spider.
They are totally harmless to humans, but for their prey they are not so kind.
They are apparently fierce predators, and they will eat just about anything it is said, not only do these spiders eat wasps, bees, butterflies, beetles, flies and grasshoppers they will also eat other spiders.
The green lynx spider does not use a web, it will stalk its prey and pounces like a cat to capture its prey.
The green lynx spider is beneficial in the garden as it kills so many bugs that damage plants, having a chemical free garden this is great information to find, research has shown that green lynx spiders can be found in crops, not only eating the moths that damage the harvest, they also eat the larvae too, pretty helpful spiders indeed.
Apparently the only time it is known to become aggressive towards humans is if the female is disturbed when she is guarding her egg sac.
Discovering something new in the garden is always a special moment, gardens are wonderful places, they are kingdoms all of their own, filled with all manner of stunning and unique creatures, and some like this tiny spider are rarely seen even by avid nature watchers like myself........


No comments: