Wednesday, July 01, 2020

Nova's First Egg.....

 Nova's first egg has been laid, the tiny egg found in the nesting box next to two other eggs.

Even next to Pearls regular size egg  which is smaller than normal eggs as she is a Cochin (Pekin )  Bantam Nova's egg was incredibly small.

I had noticed that Aslan had been spending more time with her, and she had stopped running away from him when he did his alluring mating dance for her so I knew that egg laying was going to be happening soon, as she was clearly maturing into a beautiful little hen. 

To find this weeny egg waiting in the nesting box brought a huge grin to my face.
Hens not always find themselves in such loving homes, and I am not sure how many get as giddy as I do over events such as the first egg being laid.

Sharing my garden with five hens and a very docile rooster has taught me a lot about these gentle and funny birds and I cannot imagine my garden without my little flock roaming free.
They bring such a lot of joy to the garden, and my gifts of eggs to family and friends are always received with enthusiasm as I am told that they are happy eggs as their yolks are a vibrant happy yellow and so incredibly delicious as well, I guess treats such a blueberries and watermelon help to add flavour?

Some people don't understand why I keep chickens if I don't even eat their eggs, I simply love the energy and happiness they bring to the garden with their clucking and fussing as they scratch about, plus they keep the garden pretty much pest free, they turn over the soil keeping it aerated, best of all they are mobile manure makers and that is enough for me..............





 

No comments: