Sunday, December 20, 2020

Also Blooming....

Also blooming is my Norfolk island hibiscus, otherwise known as primrose tree or cow itch tree.
The flowers are quite small and the seeds are prickly and do cause itching, which is where the last name makes a bit of sense, perhaps many a cow has ended up with skin irritations after scratching on one of these.
Pruning this tree earlier in the year I ended up itching everywhere the dust from the tree hit me and the only way to stop the itching was to change clothes and shower.
I haven't noticed a fragrance from the flowers, well not one my limited human nose could pick up anyway. Bees, birds and insects are really drawn to the these beautiful flowers.
The tree is quite large now and offers a lot of shade to the front garden protecting the more delicate plants and groundcovers beneath....

 

No comments: