Saturday, April 16, 2022

The Beginning Of......

The beginning of a flower and food meadow in the far corner of my little little piece of Gaia. 
This part of the garden has never really been used by me or the chicken folk if I am completely honest. It has remained unloved and unnurtured for nearly eight years, neglected as the rest of the garden flourished around it. 
Shame on me!
Realising that I wanted to utilise this space and bring life to it I had many conversations with my friend as to how I could achieve this. We discussed this for a few months as I wasn't sure what I wanted, then as she arrived today we began the task of reinventing and rejuvenating this space without an actual vision in mind.
First task was to dig out the yuuka pups that had taken up residence. And these have been taken to be replanted in my friends garden so they won't simply be discarded. 

Next was to rake the area. Erect the fence and finally plant a widely diverse assortment of flower and food seeds.  
My plan last year to plant a mix designed to attract pollinators failed miserably when the chickens raided the raised garden bed and ate all the succulent new shoots. Which I thought I had chicken proofed, oh well lesson learnt!  Hence the result was not what I had envisaged. 
This time I truly hope it is successful and that in the next month or so life begins to flourish in this long forgotten pocket of my garden.
Flowers bloom, bees buzz and food grows.
Meanwhile the unsuspecting chickens foraged in the freshly mowed grass..........











 

4 comments:

Sharon said...

I hope you new little garden works out exactly as intended. I'm not good at growing things so I have great admiration for those who have nice gardens.

Gemel said...

I do too Sharon. I am hoping that my impish chickens don't find a way in.

William Kendall said...

The chickens are real characters.

Gemel said...

They really do have big personalities William.