Friday, December 03, 2021

One Of........

One of my favourite times of the day is going to collect the girls eggs. I have chickens because I enjoy their energy in the garden and don't actually eat eggs so all are given away. Still, I find collecting these beautiful daily offerings rather an honor.

I can't imagine what it would be like to give birth daily for most if not all of your life. Sometimes, depending on the hen it can often sound a painful process given the amount of squawking and clucking that goes on. Zelda and Bella the youngest will proudly announce that they have laid their eggs clucking extremely loudly as they exit the nesting box.

My son has named them happy eggs, as unlike store bought eggs (even freerange) he states that my girls yolks are really bright yellow. Like little suns. He also says that they don't have a smell and taste much better than any eggs he may purchase anywhere else. Actually, everyone I gift the eggs to say the exact same thing.

I feel it is that they live their life truly free, they have so much natural food sources in the garden as well as hormone free seed, plus they get fresh corn and a whole lettuce everyday and will cluck at the door until I go out with it. But, their most  favourite treat is blueberries. Where all of them will run after me if they know I have a punnet in my hand.  And then one by one they will take them from my hand until every blueberry is gone.........

3 comments:

William Kendall said...

Chickens like blueberries?

Sharon said...

It's so wonderful that you give the eggs away. I bet they are very much appreciated.

Gemel said...

Yes, chickens LOVE blueberries William. No other berries though.

Thank you Sharon. I don't feel selling the eggs right, I get given treats and food for the chickens in return.