Sunday, December 19, 2021

I Was Greeted......

I was greeted yesterday morning to a garden full of ducks loudly quacking as they searched for leftover chicken seed. Although they like to come to spend a few hours a day and partake in any tidbits that the chickens leave they are still not comfortable with me getting too close. 
These maned or Australian wood duck are dabbling ducks, which means they feed in shallow waters, bottoms skyward most of the time. They also like seeds, nuts, grain and insects which is why so many come here I expect. 
Words got out in the duck community there is a great free feed to found here.
It is normally at this time of the year after breeding season that my garden is quite literally overrun with ducks as the regulars bring their babies when they are old enough to fly.
Thankfully the chickens get on well with all the visitors and they will all forage together. 

A few more birds were in the trees as I did my morning meander. 
I was particularly taken with the vision of a nearby jacaranda tree its soft purple blooms looking striking against the sky..........





















 

2 comments:

William Kendall said...

You have a lot of avian company.

Gemel said...

Certainly do.