Sunday, September 19, 2021

Yesterday I Set Off.........

Yesterday I set off in search for rainbow bee-eaters having been told of a nature reserve where they nest.
Did I see one? 
No!
I had researched their song before heading off and I knew there were plenty around yet not one was sighted. I did of course find plenty of other wonders to captivate me on my walk. I was extremely excited to find some yellow sun orchids. I also noticed a few more species of wildflowers not seen anywhere else that I have been out exploring recently. 
I do despair at the continued destruction of our native bushland as with it can often go plant species forever as many will grow in one small section of bushland and nowhere else. This section of bushland is also suffering from dieback which is caused by a plant pathogen which attacks the root system of certain trees. The skeleton of many a grand tree stood or lay dry and lifeless. 
I will come back here in a couple more weeks to see if I can get a glimpse of a rainbow bee-eater or two as their chicks should be ready for flight mid October.....







































 

2 comments:

William Kendall said...

Terrific shots.

Gemel said...

Thank you so much WIlliam.