Friday, July 17, 2026

Wongborel - Mount Brown...

Wongborel - Mount Brown is one of two small hills on the outskirts of York which is the oldest inland town in Western Australia. It is around 100 kilometers from the city and is Ballardong Noongar land. It became a settlement for the Europeans around 1835. Apparently York was a booming town during the goldrush in the 1890's. Now York is a quiet country town, especially on Mondays as I discovered as many of the businesses were closed. 

The photo below gives the traditional history of Wongborel meaning sleeping woman, before the European invasion. 

The day I decided to come here was blustery and wet, I had intended to do the short walk down the hill yet I was saturated by a heavy shower. My wet weather gear  proved useless so perhaps I will come back another time. I would like to go over to the other hill Walwalling meaning place of weeping. That one is slightly higher and seems a bit more interesting from my view across the valley. 
 There are no mountains in Western Australia and there is a tendency to refer to hills as mounts, which gives one the thought of something rather larger. 
It was nice to be at a slightly higher elevation, its one of the things I have always missed about England. Having mountains to explore, the challenge of reaching a summit exhausted and buzzing in equal measure.
 It was quite surprising seeing that there was no native bushland surrounding the town of York, only farm fields stretching for miles...





























 

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Such a beautiful part of your country. I love that photo looking into a very green valley.

Chatty Crone said...

I have never seen anything like this before. Awesome.

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Very pretty, fascinating and enjoyable!