Thursday, October 10, 2019

Still Relying......

 Still relying on my phone for photos I was a tad miffed that I still have not sorted a new camera when I stumbled across a few south western snake necked turtles. 

They are found in the south-west of Western Australia and differ from other turtles as their shell is not round but rather oblong.
Unlike other turtles these little ones are not as slow when it comes to food, they can lunge with a ferocious speed to feed, and it is said that large females can take down a Purple Swanphen, and they are quite a hefty water bird!
They use echolocation to locate food, I pity the many birds that live on this reserve and now understand the lack of ducklings.
They might have been dinner me thinks!

The day was warm and I am gathering food abundant as there were at least seven that I counted coming to the surface looking for a tasty treat.

Apparently they also contribute to the control of mosquitoes as one tiny turtle can eat up to 70 mosquito larvae a day.
Always love viewing creatures in their native habitat and seeing them thrive.......





2 comments:

William Kendall said...

Quite a long neck on them.

Gemel said...

Yes they have, they are quite unusual