Monday, September 23, 2024

Spring...

Spring seems to be waking things up, or as the traditional people would say we are we are nearing the end of Djilba, the season of conception. 

Seeing my wisteria in full bloom is something that I thoroughly enjoy each year, it is such a stunning vine with a seductive perfume that draws in the bees and honeyeaters. These large blooms really are magnificent, and I make sure that I appreciate them each day. Also, the native blue banded bees love flowers of a blue hue, and they enjoy all the purple flowers I have purpose planted in the garden. 

Elsewhere in the garden colour is beginning to brighten up the view. One of the jasmines is in full bloom and the heady scent fills the house on the warm days. The three other varieties of jasmine are yet to flower. 

In my small flower meadow, the calendulas and Californian poppies are the first to open. I also have artichoke and fennel thriving in there, as well as an orange tree which the possums are trimming with their playful antics. Hopefully this year I may get an orange or two off the tree. 

Little holes all across the garden show how busy my quenda is during the night, I am wondering if there is more than one as there are a lot of little burrowing holes. Quendas normally live a solitary life, maybe this one has a baby, like kangaroos quendas have a pouch. Although the quendas pouch faces backwards so it doesn't fill up with dirt while the mother is digging. They can also have up to four babies at one time. I am hoping to get more than a fleeting sight of my resident quenda. At the moment all I get is a flash as it zooms around the garden. 

I also found a stunning mound of mushrooms; these perhaps came up after I gave the garden a dose of seasol a fabulous seaweed-based fertiliser. The one I use also has a wetting agent in it as the plants really need help as we head towards the scorching summer days. I think all the plants enjoyed the nourishing watering which will keep feeding them for a few months yet. 

Blueberries, mulberries and figs are also growing in abundance, lots of wonderful fruit to look forward to. No flowers on the macadamia tree thus far, hopefully soon though...


















































































 

No comments: