Monday, July 15, 2019

After One Of.......

 After one of the most traumatic weekends I have ever had since I have shared my garden with chickens I am relieved to see Cheeky Chook outside again with her little family.

 Saturday afternoon I was passing the kitchen door and looked out to see blood all over Cheeky Chooks normally fluffy tail feathers.

Mortified I rushed outside only to discover that there was tissue matter also on the feathers.

In a state of panic and near hysteria I called a friend who also keeps chickens who told me to get her away from the rest of the flock as they would attack the blood and more than likely kill her.

Hearing this I grabbed the cat carrier and I then spent an hour trying to catch her which only distressed the two of us more.

I then had to wait until they were headed to the night box to settle down for the night, I stood guard hoping none of the others would smell or see the blood before then.

My friend then suggested that I take some photos and send them to her and see if anyone on her Facebook page knew what was going on with her as by this time the veterinary hospitals had all closed.

When she posted the photos the responses were all the same.

It is only a prolapse.
Easy to fix.
Wash her bottom and carefully cup the uterus and guide it gently back in.
Dry her off with the hairdryer and keep her in the house for a day or two.

Well I almost fainted!

In fact I nearly did twice whilst following the instructions and getting Cheeky Chook back to normal.

Throughout the whole procedure Cheeky Chook kept her calm and never showed the slightest discomfort.

After I got over the shock and stress I realised what amazing creatures chickens really are.
And that my quick action saved her life.

Having had her in the house all of yesterday keeping a constant watch in case it all pops out again I let her out to be with her family who spent periods of time during her convalescence by the window clucking to her.

That is true family love.......

No comments: