The quendas decided that the energy block that I placed out for the chickens, along with butter lettuce and arugula was rather tasty.
The chickens had nibbled on the greens, but decided that the energy block was not to their liking.
This quenda mama with her joey thought otherwise.
After they had eaten a little bit of the vitamin Laden treat I removed it to try again with the chickens at a later time.
There's plenty of natural food in the garden for my quendas to nibble on. They do like to graze on the seed I feed the chickens. And they are partial to cat biscuits, which I know a lot of people give them. I don't though.
Quendas are small marsupials, who's super power is digging and aerating the soil.
Their digging helps to disperse fungal spores and seeds.
They are supposed to be predominantly nocturnal.
My quendas however are busy around the garden during the day as well.
They are very busy little diggers and can dig up to 45 pits per night.
They are considered threatened as a species.
Due to habitat loss, and from predation from cats and chickens.
My cats only go outside in the pen, and although their keen stalking sense is activated.
They are unable to hurt any wildlife.
Quenda are only found in the South West region of Western Australia.
I know that my little colony of quendas are doing remarkably well, because there's a constant stream of joeys appearing in the garden.
They can have two to three litters per year.
Gestation lasts 12 - 15 days.
Joey's are weaned after 60 to 70 days...





No comments:
Post a Comment