Every time I go to visit Grandpup Banjo I pick him up a new toy, as well as taking fresh eggs from my chickens. Banjo especially loves a raw egg as a treat, and if I show up without any, well let's just say, he's not happy!
A couple of weeks ago I took down a fluffy mushroom, yesterday he received a fluffy snail.
The ritual is always the same on my arrival.
First squeals of excitement.
Then looking for an egg carton.
Noticing a new toy, and not knowing what to focus on.
To settle him down he always gets the egg first.
At 12 years of age, Banjo has a couple of health issues, yet he's got the mind of a puppy. This means that sometimes his body can't keep up with what his mind wants to do.
Unlike most humans who tend to lose their carefree spirit as they age or illness finds them, our animal companions show us that despite what goes on with their bodies, happiness and joy are their default mode.
They adapt and continue to offer unconditional love until their final breath.
It's something that can't be said about a great deal of humanity.
Ever since being a very young child, my connections with animals have always been profoundly deep. This level of connection I have only ever found in a couple humans over my lifetime.
No one knows when their last day will be, and I tend to live by the code of Banjo.
Wake up happy.
Embrace the beauty of each new day.
Love your special people/animals like it could be your last day.
Find joy in the simple things.
Sit in the sunshine.
Doze on the grass.
And be happy to just sit and be, watching life go by with gratitude for being who you are...














No comments:
Post a Comment