Friday, January 26, 2024

The White Ibis...

The white ibis is one of my favourite birds, closely related to the sacred ibis from Africa I find these birds mesmerising. As a child I was quite fascinated by the Egyptian Moon God Thoth and whenever I see these birds I do often think of this particular God. A lot of people think that these birds are an introduced species to Australia, however that is not the case. 
The Australian white ibis is a native bird. I know of a couple of large colonies where I like to go to watch these birds, especially during breeding season. The ibis form long lasting monogamous relationships, they normally rear two to three chicks at a time. Often having tow clutches of eggs per breeding season. 
The Yinjibarndi people of the Pilbara call the ibis mardungurra, they have a lifespan of around 30 years, given the numbers of the local colonies that I know of this species is thriving despite loss of wetland habitat...  





 

No comments: