Sunday, April 07, 2024

A Visit To...

A visit to the Form Gallery in Claremont which is always such a stimulating experience didn't disappoint.
 The focus here is on indigenous artists.
Many people think of dot paintings when they think of aboriginal art, yet there is a wide variety of styles created by indigenous people. 
Coming here one gets a glimpse of the amazing range of artistic expressions that can be found outside the normal artworks offered for tourism. 

It is always worth the drive to this gallery. 
There were several pieces that stood out for me, and I spent quite a while gazing at many of these works. Lost in contemplation as I dove into the images created. Sometimes the world drifts away as I allow my gaze to rest on a painting, seeing the strokes of the brush, infusing myself into the essence of the creation. Often there is an energy that radiates from the art, mostly this is uplifting and joyous, although at times there can be a darker vibration that can ooze out. I am mindful not to pause too long at one of these darker creations.
Mesmerised by the talent of the traditional weaving, the installation of the artist and her dogs was fabulous as was the lizard on the wall. 
There were take home packs on offer for those interested in trying their own hand at weaving. I considered purchasing one, I left with an original reversable sun hat instead...





































2 comments:

Sharon said...

Thanks so much for the art tour. I love your description of viewing art. I feel the same way and I find indigenous art holds a special attraction for me. I feel like art is as important to life as food and water.

Gemel said...

I completely agree Sharon, life without art doesn't make any sense to me.