Friday, May 24, 2024

The Swiftly Receding...

The swiftly receding water of Lake Leschenaultia saddens my heart, although many are thrilled to have endless days of warmth and sunshine, I am not so enthusiastic. 
Connected as deeply as I am to the earth, seeing the effects of the drought we are in has caused me to withdraw from hiking. My camera becoming a dusty relic in the corner of my room.  
Although the vista of a clear blue sky and sparkling waters seem like a picture-perfect day, in actual fact it is far from perfect. 
Seeing how far the water has retreated brought a sadness, the normally submerged water plants scattered on the surface deepened my concern. In a week or so it is supposed to be winter here, the normally gentle rains of autumn still have not arrived, nor have the brisk days. Instead, the days are too warm and so much of the bushland is dying along with many of the precious beings who dwell in the wild. 
Sometimes I wish I could be oblivious to my surroundings. Be like those who see no farther than the endless blue sky being another great day. Yet, I am unable to be so fickle. 
As I began to wander the familiar tracks of my local lake I did so with a profound reverence to this land I am so deeply connected to. Wishing for rain to fall in deluges, for months quenching the thirst of the creatures and the trees and plants.
 Normally by this stage of autumn, the bush is ablaze with colour, as I ambled along, I saw but one small sapling in flower. Another sign of the devastation the drought has caused. 
The lack of flowers and lush winter grasses mean that an array of wildlife are starving as this relentless warm weather continues....


















































 

No comments: