Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Exploring Ellis Brook Reserve...

Exploring Ellis Brook Reserve, a little more yesterday, I didn't do the walk to the top of sixty-foot falls or to the quarry as I would prefer to do this walk when the rains have set in and the water is flowing once again. 
Wandoo is prevalent here, the bark of the wandoo has golden tones and is easily recognisable once you know what to look for. The flora here is vastly different to my area so it will be interesting to come back in the spring to see what wildflowers bloom here. I did spot a couple of pin cushion hakeas in bloom, slightly different to the ones I have in my garden. 
I also noticed two rather impressive termite mounds, the second one I encountered was huge. 
I also saw a baby snake making a dash across the road, I actually had a prompt to take my hiking boots with me yesterday but ignored it. 
Snakelets are very dangerous as their venom is very potent, I am not really sure what kind of snake this baby was, we have several deadly ones here, so I made sure I kept out of the way whilst I guarded its journey across the tarmac. Once safely on the earth again it was incredible seeing how swiftly is camouflaged. Good deed done for the day it was time to head home....






































































































 

2 comments:

William Kendall said...

Terrific shots!

While we have rattlesnakes in some parts of the province, most snakes here, and certainly in this area, are non-venomous.

Gemel said...

Thank you.

Here we have many venomous snakes, so keeping to paths is a good idea. Avoiding the babies is also wise as they give all the venom when biting, which leaves little time for getting to a hospital.