Sunday, October 10, 2021

A New Visitor......

A new visitor to garden gave me a fright as it popped it's head around the corner of the cottage. 
The cats were equally startled as they were out in their day enclosure. 
First thought was snake, but thankfully not.
Although this little one may appear freasome these bobtail goannas or shinglebacks are quite harmless unless you are silly enough to let one latch on. Legend has it that they lock their jaws and refuse to let go. 
I was a little concerned as to whether the chickens would gang up on this still immature skink when it took cover in the front garden. 
By the time the chickens made their way around to the front garden it had disappeared from view. They camouflage really well as the last two photos show. 

I know that there has been a pair living behind the shed since I moved here. Doing a bit of research I realise now that their young set up home near to the parents, making a little colony. So it appears I have a family of these in the garden which is exciting. They can live up to 20 years and feed on flowers, berries and plants. They also eat snails and spiders. A great garden helper.
I will definitely need to be more cautious when sticking my hands down into bushy parts of the garden now I know that there is one in the front garden. 
They apparently like strawberries so if I see it again I will pop a few out for it as a treat.

The cats were all wide eyed and nervous after their close encounter with this unusual creature and all three demanded to go inside without delay.....





 

1 comment:

William Kendall said...

Hello beastie!