Saturday, January 09, 2021

Finding Some Respite.....

Finding some respite from the heat I took myself for a swim and to sit by the water watching the shadows and waterbirds, probably my most favorite pastime of all. There were many groups of people all with the same idea, so I chose the quieter side of the lake where things are always a little more peaceful.
 Lake Leschenaultia is a very calming place, just sitting under the shade of the trees observing life happening around me really is so very therapeutic. Ducks gliding on the water, gentle ripples causing tiny waves to wash onto the sand. Ducks coming up to sit by me, maybe hoping that some food may appear magically to feed them, or maybe just sitting observing me whilst I observe them. Water always has a calming effect on me. It has a nurturing cleansing quality about it that somehow refreshes more than the body, it revitalises the soul too. 
Sitting here watching groups of people out enjoying themselves, hearing laughter as children played I did feel deep sadness for those in countries where the terrible lockdowns are still in place. I use to feel that living here in Western Australia was like living in the backend of the planet. It is so far away from everywhere else, but as 2020 brought such dreadful changes to the planet I am actually happy that I chose to stay here in sleepy old Perth, because compared to the rest of the world we really have had it easy. 
The tranquility found here did make me realise how lucky I am to be still leading a normal life. Going to the cinema, enjoying meals out, being able to see family and friends with no restrictions at all. Many thoughts were sent to friends I have living in Germany and the UK who have told me recently how hard the lockdowns have been for them. Here's hoping that balance and normality restores across the planet in the very near future....... 






























 

3 comments:

William Kendall said...

Beautiful shots!

Sharon said...

Sounds to me like a prefect way to relax and enjoy nature. You are so lucky to live in a place that has been able to remain relatively normal. It's very difficult here right now because of the rising numbers of infections. Something as simple as getting groceries has turned into a scary ordeal.

Gemel said...

Thank you William.

I am lucky Sharon, hoping things return to normal for you soon too.