A friend sent me this drone photo of a crocodile from Broome which is the north of Western Australia.
There are two crocodile species found in Broome, the saltwater crocodile and the freshwater crocodile. This wonderful specimen is a saltwater crocodile, who was lazily drifting by.
I find crocodiles absolutely fascinating. A study done in 2013 found that crocodiles will eat large quantities of fruit, which I expect surprised everyone. Crocodiles are renowned for being lethal hunters of animals and humans alike.
Crocodiles teeth are replaced if they lose one. They have between 60 - 110 teeth, depending on the species. If one falls out, another is there waiting to replace it. Larger crocodiles can go a year without eating a meal, which I found interesting.
But it's the fact that these powerful creatures are living fossils that fascinates me the most, as they have barely changed in the millions of years the species has been on the planet.
Their resilience and adaptability to survive this long is truly amazing. They definitely deserve respect.
I've been to Broome twice, and both times I have avoided swimming in anything apart from a swimming pool, there's most definitely an ominous feeling the ocean, river and mangroves project and I most definitely respected this feeling to stay well away from the water...

2 comments:
Cool photo!
They featured some crocodiles in the show about the Kimberly that I watched a few months ago. They certainly looked like dangerous creatures.
Post a Comment