Sunday, October 04, 2026

Visiting Lake Gwelup...


 Visiting Lake Gwelup for the first time mid August was a spare of the moment decision, and I am certainly glad I followed my intuition.
Lake Gwelup is a 56 kilometre drive each way, located closer to the beach, than to the foothills where I live. I am actually really surprised that I have never been here before, especially when I lived down in the suburbs.

 There's a 3 kilometre walk that loops the lake, unfortunately though the lake isn't visible all the way around. The viewing platform and boardwalk gives great views of the lake, which I would say is the highlight. 
Being late winter meant it was a bit early for most birds to be breeding, having said that though, winter was a warm and dry one this year, and many things in nature are somewhat out of rhythm.

Nevertheless, I still managed to get plenty of photos the lake, but not as many photographs of birds as I would have liked.

There were wattle birds, ravens and rainbow parakeets in the trees. Eurasian coots and a couple varieties of ducks as well as purple swamphens in and around the water.

I am planning on revisitng again in the next few weeks, hopefully there will be a little more activity with ducklings and other baby birds now beginning to arrive...







































































1 comment:

J.P. Alexander said...

Lindo lago . Te mando un beso.