Saturday, February 18, 2023

The Towering Palm Tree...

The towering palm tree in the neighboring property is in flower, I noticed the bunches of flowers as they were being swept to and fro by the wind. I expect in the next few days the flowers will attract many birds and insects as the blossoms open.

In my garden flowers are few, those that are scattered around the garden are a welcome sight. Sadly, my vegetables have mostly withered under the fierce summer sun. I have a few onions, one corn and several strawberry plants hanging in there. I am going to have to rethink how to plant summer vegetables next year, as even with a shade cloth over them the heat was far too intense for them to survive.
The fig tree is laden with fruit, and I pick a couple to nibble on each day, so far, the birds seem to have left them alone. Only a couple have been eaten which without a net over the tree is really impressive. 

My hakea trees have many buds beginning to grow which is a sure sign that autumn is on its way. The flowering of the hakea trees in my garden is a yearly highlight. 

The chickens have come out from the shade to enjoy an afternoon snack of oats. Aslan needed a bit of assistance getting up but waddled off on his own after a quick nibble.
Not many birds around as the afternoon is still rather hot. A lone raven was waiting for me to disappear before coming over to enjoy his fill of oats...







































 

4 comments:

Sharon said...

That palm tree looks very familiar to me. I see quite a few of them around these parts.

Gemel said...

Not that many of them over here, especially as tall as this one.

William Kendall said...

So very different from what we'd see here.

Gemel said...

Very different to what you have in Canada.