Tuesday, April 02, 2019

In The Later....

In the later part of 2014 the first of my chicken folk arrived and promptly changed my life.
 
Quilldancer and Princess Sparkles were rescued from a suburban house where they were not being looked after properly and there were fears that they would not survive given the level of abuse they endured.
 
A friend of mine bundled them up in a box and brought them to me where for the rest of their lives they enjoyed the freedom of being in a proper garden with all sorts of sunny spots to rest and plenty of places to scratch and forage for snails and bugs.
  
Having never cared for chickens before I had a lot to learn, but also I had a lot to gain.

My garden suddenly had a different energy about it as I began to understand the way of the chicken.
I still recall vividly the first day I arrived home and these two ran towards the gate to welcome me home, running down the driveway with their wings out it was one of the funniest things I had seen.

Chickens are extremely social and they have deep bonds and to think of such gentle creatures being kept in awful conditions as egg machines breaks my heart.

These two were never far from each other and they really loved being near the house, often settling down in front of the windows or doors to keep an eye on what was going on inside.
Ever curious and always keeping an eye on me when I was out in the garden, they particularly liked it when I was weeding or digging unearthing juicy worms for them to feast on.

Sadly they have both passed away, but not before they left their footprints on my heart and paved the way for more chicken folk to follow.....

 









No comments: