Wednesday, February 07, 2024

A Koala...

A koala was the highlight on a recent visit to Yanchep National Park, although not native to this part of the country, this park has a small colony of koalas. 
Although I only sighted one koala who looked as frazzled as me in the 45-degree heat. No matter how many times I see the unique native animals I never lose my fascination. 

There were lots of Carnaby white tail cockatoos in the trees, all busy with the squawking babies as they too kept out of the heat as much as possible. They are very vocal birds communicating constantly as they feed in the treetops. Blossoms from the jarrah and marri trees a favourite for them. 

The vistas of the vibrant green carpets of grass gave the illusion that it was going to be cooler walking here, however there was absolutely no respite from the relentless heat unless inside. A few flowers were spotted, and I did enjoy a brief shower under some sprinklers that were refreshing the parched gardens. 

The lake was albeit dried up, with no decent rain since midway through last year most lakes and swamps are desperately dry. The area around the lake has warning signs for tiger snakes, I did have a look to see if I could spot any as I ambled along, but they are far too smart to linger around the heavy footsteps of a human. 

There are a few trails that I would like to explore when the cooler weather arrives, so shall head back later in the year to have another adventure and explore the parts of the park I have not yet seen... 























































































 

No comments: