Friday, March 29, 2019

A Cheeky.....

A cheeky little Willie Wagtail follows me through the garden, constantly swishing his tail from side to side as he chirrups away.
 
The largest of Australia's fantails and because of their non stop wagging sideways they have become affectionately known as Willie Wagtails.
 
These are cheeky little critters, they will purposely tease cats often driving the unsuspecting feline to despair as the nimble wagtail is forever out of their reach dive bombing the cat and then in an instant out of the cats reach again.
I often catch glimpses of them harassing other larger birds too, annoying them until they fly off and the Wagtail has the garden back to himself.
They defend their territory actively and often nest around houses as they do not seem to be terribly worried about humans.
 
This one scurries along in front of me forever chirping, often darting up to a branch to watch what I am doing, maybe I will disturb a nest of insects whilst I am pottering in the garden, giving him a tasty treat, or perhaps he just likes to keep an eye on what I am up to.
Although occasionally I have the feeling I am being told off as his calls can take on a scolding nature.
 
 
Hoping this one finds a mate and nests in the garden this year, and like many other tiny birds who dwell within the garden will bring the young to feed and investigate the foliage and flowers so I can sit quietly and watch the splendour of nature and the private family moments I have been blessed to witness.... 

 
 
 


No comments: