Monday, July 18, 2011

Rising In.......

Rising in the wee small hours of the morning to climb to the top of a volcano to watch the sunrise was the most inspiring and challenging thing that I had done in many years.
I left the villa at 4am and after a short drive began the ascent in the dark, the path illuminated only by the faint glow from an ancient torch.
Reaching the summit as the sun rose was completely breathtaking.
As the mists cleared and the golden orb rose, I was completely lost for words.
Wandering further along the path that circled the still active volcano the stench of sulphur hung in the clouds that engulfed me momentarily.
The only thing I was capable of was to watch in bashful celebration of the glorious view surrounding me.
In the silence tears of joy slowly travelled down my cheeks, my heart expanding to such a degree that I found it increasingly difficult to retain my composure. 
Joy gushed through me, joy, was me.
I was euphoric, rejoicing being so infused in the moment, savouring every second. 

In this moment I felt more alive than I ever had before, in this moment I was One.
Drops of dew glistened like diamonds on the damp grasses.

Such perfection, simple exquisiteness.
Leaving this majestic place was not easy, although I did encounter this delightful chap , the elder of the troop of monkeys who live here.
A wise and gentle soul, sitting and watching the passing humans.
Once again I was delighted to discover that the 'horror' stories related by others of the rabid aggressive monkeys proved to be inaccurate, the monkeys I encountered were all shy, polite and timid creatures.
Being within touching distance to these incredible mammals only enhanced the magic of my morning, observing the observed was a rather surreal experience.
I would have given anything to share the thoughts of these two, both lost watching the antics of the few humans who had come to share the dawning of another day.

As the gentle rays of the morning sun reached out to infuse us all with the gift of its nurturing rays the magic of the moment once again brought tears to my eyes. 
This moment will linger within my heart, its spell woven within my cells, embedding this scene within me forever.
Innocence personified, inherent grace all in the shape of this baby monkey. 

Love echoed everywhere I turned.

Coming down the volcano was bizarre, seeing I climbed in the dark I had no idea what I had passed, nor how high I had climbed.  
In the distance the ground still barren and blackened told the tale of the last larva flow which occurred in the 1960's, luckily it stopped well before it reached the village that lies below it.
Gazing over to Mount Agung, Bali's sacred mountain was incredible, I had seen it from a distance a few days before, but to be here now, standing in speechless awe is something I feel inadequate to describe.
Sadly though, the day before an eruption had released sulphur into the lake killing all the fish, a reminder of the powerful destruction such beauty is capable of.
The remnants of a temple stood as a ghostly reminder, highlighting how temporary we all are.  

Turning to look back at where I had been was overwhelming, for the second time this morning I was staggered at what I saw, and what I had done.
Energy was buzzing through my body, I felt so incredibly light that I happily jogged down the track, no sense of fatigue, only immense joy. 
It had been awhile since I had been high in a mountain range, and I realised as I trotted gaily along that it is something I miss deeply, there is something powerful that arises in me when I am surrounded by endless miles of nature, I feel as if I have returned, I feel nurtured.  

Nearing the end of my morning jaunt I slowed a little to admire and breathe in the scene, to allow the overflowing loveliness to penetrate every molecule of who I am.




Looking back one last time at all the path I had walked again lulled me into a silent moment of intense inner connection, a moment of unforgettable brilliance..............

1 comment:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

That's quite a hike with an incredible views at the top. Thanks for taking us along with you!