Monday, July 25, 2011

Having Given...

Having given my legs an arduous workout climbing the volcano I knew that I required some gentle exercise to work the muscles, warming them and working the stiffness away.
Having already been taken on one guided tour with Putu the manager of the villa, I asked if there was another walk that we could go that was a little more challenging.
Of course there was, although this one was actually going through the jungle its self. 
It was decided, after all, this was perhaps a once in a lifetime adventure, it was agreed that we would leave straight after breakfast.

Apparently the route we were to take was not altogether safe and Rick did view his concerns of me going this way at all, he came to suggest maybe I stick to the road, he was concerned about the bridge we would be crossing, and I expect he did not wish any accidents, Putu said that the bridge would be safe, as he had been across it himself not that long ago, so, it was with much enthusiasm that we set off.

The path, well, the alleged path that we followed was difficult to see, if I had not of been with Putu goodness knows where I would have ended up. 
Having to hold on for dear life to the roots of the trees or any available branches prevented me from falling a few times as we slowly made our way down the steep sides of the valley.
Turning around to see where I had been showed me nothing but endless greenery, the jungle swallowing the thin track completely from view.
Nearing the bridge I felt like I was on some sort of exotic adventure, tracking through the jungle looking for lost treasures.
The denseness of the foliage coupled with the heat made the humidity difficult to bear at times, stopping to rest and to admire the bewildering view was especially astonishing, never in my wildest dreams had  I ever imagined that I would find myself trekking in a jungle.
Following Putu across the bridge I realised instantly what all the fuss was about.
Covered in moss, held together by twine in some parts, and on a precarious angle, it was by no means in tip top condition, and given the fact that the drop to the river would inflict serious injury  I was mindful of each step I took.
Slipping once had me in a fit of giggles though, I found the whole experience so wildly exciting.
Behind me there was not a trace of where I had been.
In front of us the same thick vegetation waited.
Looking down as I left the bridge behind I captured every aspect of this moment within my heart.
As I breathed, so too, did everything else. 
Climbing up was easier than our decent the other side, the morning rain had made the path slippery, muddy and dangerous, to slip here could have been deadly, again any available branch or root was used to steady myself.
Rising higher once again the sudden rustling of the undergrowth had me wondering what local inhabitants where scurrying away.  
The only real threat was encountering a cobra or one of the large pythons, although I did not think of either to be honest, and we were making enough noise with our stumbling and slipping to alert any resident of our approach. I did see a couple of squirrels, and heard monkeys in the distance, other than that not a soul was seen, nor heard.
On and on we climbed until we emerged in the middle of a cacao plantation, the flat ground a welcome reprieve from the exhausting climb.

Farmers tending their fields stopped to watch as we appeared out of the jungle, I expect to them seeing someone in complete awe of their backyard is somewhat amusing, although I did ponder, do they see it as I?

In the distance the villa sat nestled within the tropical barrier that snuggles around it, somehow seeing it there seemed unnatural, out of place in the wild kingdom of perfection that encircled it. 
Leaving the farmlands behind once again we disappeared into the labyrinth of greenery, where in an instant I was transported back into another realm.
The sound of silence penetrated through every cell of my body, the hush was incredibly loud, such peace     
I had never felt.
Taking in the moments as I did has changed me, now I crave nothing more than that stillness to engulf me where ever I am. 
Returning to the bedlam of humanity was not a something I was wanting to do.
I wished to stay, lost in this paradise of flawless beauty.
As always though, I was disturbed from my inner contemplations by the appearance of an animal, this cute little puppy.
A very curious and friendly little chap, who had to be persuaded to return home, allowing us sadly to continue without him.
Approaching the village temple once again I knew that I was close to the sacred tree, after my first experience I had longed to come back to here once again, as I approached I could feel her energy oozing out to engulf me. 

Suddenly everything became enhanced with a radiant inner beauty.
I felt as if millions of eyes were upon me, every flower, every leaf, every blade of grass was aware of my approach.
Brilliance glittered all around me, 
Wisdom beckoned me forth.
Purity whispered to me.
Then suddenly looming on the horizon I beheld her captive presence......

No comments: