Monday, July 11, 2011

Buzzing With............

 Buzzing with vivacity I ran along in front of my wonderful guides, I was gushing with happiness, awash with delight.
 Rounding the bend the final stretch of our morning walk lengthened before us, the image of the sparkling pool swam into my mind, when suddenly the aroma of fresh coffee filled my nostrils.
As we continued down the road the smell intensified until we discovered the source of the delicious aroma.

 The local coffee roaster, come coffee grinder.......
 Sitting watching the action was this delightful matriarch, she had the most incredible smile, her warmth melted my heart, no words were required as I sat down next to her and watched the workings of this humble workplace.
 Simple, and a health and safety officers nightmare, this little roadside operation was just incredible, never had I seen such ingenuity, watching the beans roasting I was mesmerized by the resourcefulness of its humble owner.
 No thought for his own safety as he turned out the burning coffee beans into the waiting baskets, he simply flowed from one machine to another.
  



 He went about his work without a thought of being watched, we were so tempted by the bouquet of the roasting beans that we decided to purchase some of his traditional Balinese coffee,watching in hushed stillness as our beans were prepared for grinding.
 Still hot of the press so to speak, they were poured into this makeshift grinder, still steaming as they disappeared from view, and down the shoot and into the waiting basket.

 There we had it, a basket of freshly roasted Balinese coffee ready for us to take home and enjoy after our lunch.

Walking down the driveway towards the villa I felt a warm and contented sensation washing over me, what a morning I had experienced, a day I can quiet honestly say like I had never witnessed before.............

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Love it!! How was the coffee?

Gemel said...

Very, very strong, a little too intense for me.

Natalie said...

What an experience, Gemel!
Traveling certainly opens the mind doesn't it. That little lady had a smile to melt an icecap. :)