Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Wonders Of Nature......

 The wonders of nature never cease to amaze me, and I have to admit that my resident Saunders Case Moths really do intrigue me.
Unlike other caterpillars, these little critters are safe from any predators that would find them a tasty treat, as they build themselves a sturdy portable home.
 This fellow was out and about yesterday making a very slow journey across the courtyard, it is not easy to get about with a pile of sticks on your back, occasionally he would tumble over, retreat into his protective case for a rest, then start the process all over again.

 I had never seen any of these prior to moving to this house, and from what I have learnt these particular moths are native to Queensland, which is way over the other side of Australia, I am assuming that they have come in with the sugar mulch I use for the garden.
Two of them have secured themselves to plants and have not moved for a couple of weeks, which I hope indicates that they are beginning their transformation into the moth, I just hope I am around when they emerge from their shelter, for I would love to witness their first flight.......

No comments: